Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Spring

Surprisingly, is been a cool spring.  It's been warmer in Michigan then here [NC] for a week or more.  Spring brings new flowers, baby animals, and thoughts of vacation.  I'm hoping to take a two week road trip out west with my first grandson Mack.  He is seventeen this year and I plan on letting him do most of the driving.  We have never seen the Grand Canyon or other parts of the west.  I was in Denver one year to go to a national convention of Square Dancers.  I remember we would take a public bus to down town Denver in our square dance costumes and cause a stir on the bus.  Then everyday more of our dancers heard about our adventure and want to join us.  We were a bright and colorful distraction of the normal bus riders.  at the dance there were live bands including one called 'Ghost Riders'. They played my favorite song by Johnny Cash....'Ghost  Riders in the Sky'.  I must say dancing and listening to that song, was Nirvana. My plan is to fly Mack to here [Charlotte] for two weeks [maybe three] and drive 2000 miles to Flagstaff Arizona.  It will take 3 days - 8 hours a day - of pedal to the metal, then 1 1/2 hours to the South rim.  I anticipate a wonderful time with Mack.
Growing up poor on ADC - Aid To Dependent Children, I didn't even know what a 'vacation' was.  It wasn't until I [19] got married to a guy that had regular family vacations that I learned.  One of our first trip was to Acapulco, Mexico a work related event.  I didn't even know where Acapulco was let alone want to go there. The five day there felt like three weeks to me. It was beautiful , but I would have preferred to go to the Grand Canyon!

No comments:

Post a Comment