Monday, April 12, 2010

Enabler

Grandson [Jim] 14,. only child of my daughter [ Dee]. Jim comes into my house Sunday morning with a long face. HUG what's wrong? "My mother" Dee is close behind him with a long face. HUG what's wrong? " Your grandson" The story? ..... Jim is cold at breakfast so Dee being the great Mommy that she is says " Put your hands on my hot coffee cup to warm up but, don't touch it where I put my mouth......I think you can guess the rest of the story. Jim admits that it was to much temptation when the sentence contained DON'T.......I ask Dee why she expected to parent a teenager the same way she parented a 9 year old? "you only have ONE I had two......I would rather get another divorce than parent another teenager. Were you expecting this to be EASY?" "well maybe it will be easier when you're not here to 'ENABLE' his billergent teenage behavior. I'll be the first to admit, I'm much more relaxed this time around. I've weathered raising TWO teenagers. This time I'm 'Grandma' and as you know - Grandmas' have a hard time not spoiling [enabling] their smart, handsome, athletic, charming, adorable grandchildren. PS ..... I get to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment